Starting a new project on The.com is the fastest of any CMS on the market. Whether you are beginning your agency's next big project or spinning up a quick landing page starting only takes a few seconds.
We are going to go through 5 simple steps to start building using The.com
- Creating a site
- Using the Worksheet
- Creating and Editing a Page
- Launching/Deploying a Page
- Connecting a custom domain
Let's get started!
After you log in the first screen you always see is your Sites dashboard area. If you are new to the platform you won't have any sites in there yet. So let's create your first blank site.
Step 1 - Creating a site
Creating a site from blank or from a template really is just one click and about 5 seconds!
What you instantly get with a new Site on The.com
- A subdomain on The.com (example-site-1776.the.com)
- Connect any custom domain for free
- A free SSL with every site
- The ability to duplicate infinity
- Quick delete site (with a warning) See deleted sites
After creating your site you now have the power to start building using our innovative editor and patented functionality
Step 2 - Using the Worksheet
When you click Edit on the Site card you are brought into the Site. You first see your new worksheet, this area allows you to see everything in one place like your pages, components, content sheets, assets, and add-ons. (If you want to learn more about what each of those does visit this article).
Let's start by adding an asset. We can hit the plus asset button of just drag an image, video, pdf, font file, or other files into the first empty cell underneath the plus cell.
Step 3 - Creating and Editing a Page
Creating a page is as simple as clicking + Page on the first worksheet column. That will instantly create a new page that you can name in the cell. The first page you create will automatically become your homepage and subsequent pages URLs will default to the name you give the page (naming the page About will make the URL /about/)
Pro tip: Click command + d while selected on a page to copy it
Editing a page is where The.com Sites really excels. The unique editing interface puts your website front and center while the editor floats on top.
Let's start by adding a few elements to the page
- Click +Element and search for Section and click enter (you can rename any element by double-clicking on it after)
- Let's add styles for each one below open command + k type the style then the value and hit enter (don't add the arrow, that is just for reference)
display -> flex
justify content -> center
min height -> 100vh (you can use vh or px or %)
background image -> "type the name of the one you uploaded"
Pro Tip: easily hide the editor by clicking the eye icon in the top right or pressing command + e
3. Now we'll nest a link and an image inside the Section - Click the blue plus icon in between the two elements to nest and select Anchor Link - to edit the elements attributes you click the Edit button on the element allowing you to add element specific attributes like this links URL or the source of an image. So lets simply add any link into the URL cell
4. The next step would be to nest an Image element inside the anchor link click Edit and add a source by typing in the SRC cell to search your previously uploaded assets or by dragging a new one into that same cell. Next, click anywhere in the editor to deactivate attributes mode and use command + k to add the following styles
width -> 400px
You will notice that because of the styles we added to the entire Section that the image moves and resizes perfectly in the center of the 500px height section!
Pro Tip: Every image you add gets pulled in full size and raw format so you may want to optimize images and videos before uploading them
5. Now that we have created a mini section with a centered image that is linked let's click the blue Deploy Page button to launch your new site and automatically build a sitemap!